Thursday, August 16, 2012

Keen Gregory Beutler

Monday August 13, 2012 started out early for Josh and I. I was scheduled to be induced that morning at 7:00 but I woke up around 1:15 with some pretty steady contractions. I was not about to let what happened last time happen again, so after about 45 minutes of counting contractions we packed up and headed to the hospital. We called my dad to come over and stay with the kids and luckily we caught him before he had gone to bed (yeah it was 2:00 and he hadn't gone to be yet - who does that?) He raced over and fell asleep at our house and we raced off to the hospital. When we got there they hooked me up to the monitors and told me we were going to stay. The nurse said it was actually great timing since I had to have antibiotics for 4 hours anyway before I delivered the baby. They started an IV and the antibiotics then checked me and I was at a 3.5. Our nurse Julie told us that we could just take it easy for the next few hours. So that's what we did. The anesthesiologist gave me my epidural (ah heaven) and then we laid back and waited. Josh reclined his chair and I laid the bed back and we tried to get a little sleep.

At 7:30 Julie came in and gave me another dose of antibiotics and said that we could now actually have the baby. Dr. Smith came in about 30 minutes later and broke my water. My contractions started coming faster and stronger (and luckily I didn't have to feel anything!) Julie checked me again and said I was at a 5 and that once someone gets to a 5 it usually goes pretty quick after that. Sure enough, about 30 minutes later I started to feel a lot of pressure even through the epidural. Julie came back in and said that I was complete and ready to have the baby! Unfortunately Dr. Smith was in the middle of surgery and we had to wait about 15 minutes for him to come in. Once he got there it was quick and easy. I pushed for one contraction and then Baby Keen made his appearance at 10:37 am!
The one thing I kept hearing was "wow look at all that hair!" Keen has a head full of dark hair. It is so cute! The next thing I heard was "he's a big boy!" And yes, he is a big boy. Weighing in at 8 lbs. 5 oz. and 21 inches. He is my biggest baby so far and so so darling!

He has his own look. He resembles Rhen slightly but really doesn't look as much like the others as they each did when they were born.

We had a little skin to skin time right after the birth. He is the sweetest little guy and we are so glad he came quick and easy and healthy!

The proud father!

Our newest addition - it's so crazy that he is actually here!



Keen Gregory Beutler - welcome to our home!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Congrats Nat and Josh! What a cute boy!! I bet the girls are LOVING him!! Leiv is going to love having a brother too! So glad all went better that last time and you did not have to deliver in the car and that you did get an epidural!

Chelsea said...

Such an amazing time of life, congrats! Seems like I was just in your shoes yesterday. Now it's been 3 months! How time flies! Enjoy your new little one!

mer and mel said...

Congratulations- he is adorable!! I bet your girls are in HEAVEN! I'm so glad things went smoothly this time around ;) I hope your recovery has been good and that you are getting the rest you need and greatly deserve!!

Danica said...

Congrats!! I'm super happy for you!!! He's adorable!! XOOXOX