Today I took the kids on a “road trip” to the north coast of the island. We’ve been on a road trip every year for the last several years so I thought it might be fun to do a mini one this year and explore some new places. We typically stay in the east side when we come to PR so this was new for all of us. We packed our cooler, threw the boogie boards and snorkel gear in the trunk and squished into the car Puerto Rican style and took off! I had Liev and Keen double buckled up front with me and the other four in the back. It was tight but totally fine. We drove to the furthest place on our list first and made our way back from there. It was about an hour and a half drive and at first the kids complained that it would be too long. But we got some good music going and we laughed and joked our way to the northwest side and before we knew it we had arrived.
Our first stop was a spot called Pozo del Bispo. It was a pretty little spot with a lighthouse on the hill and a perfect swimming hole made from an inlet of water surrounded by rocks. The kids had a great time snorkeling here and saw lots small swordfish here. The rocks made the perfect surf break and I thought the waves crashing along the rocks made for a gorgeous background. There was a local guy spear fishing and he had a whole line of octopus that he caught. He said fresh octopus is one of the most delicious things to eat so I promised myself I’d try it sometime soon! We hiked up the hill a bit and saw the incredible coastline with jagged rocks all along the way and waves crashing over them. So pretty!
At lunchtime we headed back to the car and had sandwiches and chips for lunch then drove back along the coast and enjoyed the scenery along the way. The beaches up here are much more rough and jagged with rocks but absolutely gorgeous! We stopped at one spot hoping to get some boogie boarding in but realized within the first five minutes that it was just too rough for our group of smaller people. The beach itself was sandy all the way but the waves crashed in hard and dropped off deep not too far from the shore. I think it might be a perfect spot for surfing but I’m no expert :)
Rhen found a little mossy friend inside her swimsuit once we got back in the car and Waa Waa sunbathed on the dashboard We saw some cute towns and houses as we drove and also stopped for a quick picture at the “Birth of the New World” monument that commemorates the 500th anniversary of Columbus’ first voyage. It was a huge monument and the boys said it looks like a pirate ship, which I agreed with. But we couldn’t find the road to get up there so we opted for a quick pic along the side of the road. There was a moment as we were driving that I almost pooped my pants. Literally. Remember…I have all six kids in the car with me. So 7 people in a 5 person car. Totally jammed in. So, I’m just driving minding my own business and switched lanes in front of a big van that had lots of different logos all over it. I didn’t think anything of it when we passed it. Immediately the van let out a little siren like honk at me and flashed the lights that were on top. A cop! At least I was sure it was in that moment. I pushed keens head down and yelled to the kids to hold still. I pulled off to the side of the road, resigned to the fact that I was going to jail that instant. The van pulled past me and just kept driving. Rease and Rhen quickly pointed out that the van was a junior college advertising van and not a cop at all. We had a good laugh and I’m sure the guys in the van laughed too knowing that they got me good and scared…
We made our way to one of the most picturesque beaches I’ve seen called Mar Chiquita. It was a stunning cove of a beach with a rock ledge almost all the way around that made for great swimming, snorkeling and sea glass hunting. We LOVED this place and spent the next few hours here just absolutely enjoying ourselves and scorching our white skin. I tried hard to keep enough sunscreen on but in the end we all got a little crispy. This place. Gorgeous.
We left Mar Chiquita and drove about 45 minutes back to San Juan where we met up with Josh for dinner and walked around the fort in Old San Juan. This big field is one of our favorites to watch the sunset and play on the enormous field. We brought the frisbee with us and played for a while until we were all tired and ready for our beds.
I love these little people that are my companions in all the crazy that we want to do! I’m so grateful that they go along withy ideas and plans and have a good time doing it all with me! And Josh…no words to describe the man by my side through this adventure. He’s. The. Best.
Successful road trip in my book!

No comments:
Post a Comment