I've had a sore achilles and shin for the past few months but it's finally gotten to the point that I needed to get it checked out. The inside of my left shin has been sore for years and I do get shin splints so have always just been really careful touching that area or doing anything that might bump up against there. Lately though my achilles on that same side has gotten really sore in the mornings and when I run, especially right after a run. It's super tight and feels like it is going to tear more and more if I don't have it stretched out really good. Just a few weeks ago I noticed a lump right on the lower part of my achilles that hadn't been there before. I figured it was time to get it looked at before something major happens. I saw an orthopedic surgeon who took x-rays and did an ultrasound on it to see what was going on. He said that I do have a tear starting in the achilles and that lump that is formed is fluid in between the strands and some scar tissue starting to form. He does think that it will go away eventually but wants me to decrease activity with certain things so that I don't tear it more or even rupture it. So...basketball and volleyball are out for a while :(
He also referred me to a physical therapist and wants me to get some therapy in for a few weeks while I'm "resting".
He did say that the pain in my shin is actually a stress fracture. You can see that lump on the left side of the x-ray and he said that is a stress fracture that has started to heal on its own. So that's the pain that I've been feeling there. He wants to keep an eye on that area over the next several months and take a new x-ray later to see if it has changed.
So, that's a big bummer overall. I'm glad that I don't have an injury that keeps me in bed, but I'm going to have to take it easy on some things for a little while. Getting old really sucks...
No comments:
Post a Comment