Thursday, October 6, 2011

Canning

This past month we have been doing some canning. Last year I didn't do any, so now I am almost completely out of a few things - tomatoes, peaches and pears. So Josh's mom has kept me in the loop about where to get produce and we have canned and frozen quite a bit.

The first thing we did was corn. Josh's cousin usually has extra corn so we took him up on his offer and picked about 7 dozen ears. We worked that night with Josh's parents cutting the corn and bagging it to freeze. We ended up with quite a few bags of corn for our freezer. Yay!
Next: tomatoes. Jeanie and I picked about 3 bushels of tomatoes each and then spent the whole next day canning them.

Rease wanted to get a picture of me working on the tomatoes. She was a big help during the day - she was in charge of washing all the dirt off the tomatoes.
I ended up with 55 quarts of delicious tomatoes!
Pears. No befores or durings of the pear day, but there is this after picture of the quarts I did. One of the bottles didn't seal so I let the girls open it and eat the pears. The bottle was gone in less than 5 minutes. We will definitely use all these by the time next canning year comes around!

No comments: