Saturday, November 7, 2009

What a man...

I need to take a minute and brag about my amazing husband. He has been through a tough couple of weeks and I want everyone to know what a great husband and dad he is to us 3 girls.
Josh and I have had an official role-reversal happen to us. He is concentrating on his last semester and half of grad school (yipee!) and I am back in the working world for now. Josh has class at night and so he is home during the day. Staying home means that he is taking care of the girls, keeping up with the housework and all the other things that go on during the day. On top of that he is trying to get as much studying done as he can while still trying to stay sane. I have to admit I think I have the easier job right now. It's hard to know how much really goes on day to day until you have to tell someone else everything they need to do to keep the schedule up. Here are a few minor details that I forgot to tell Josh:
1) Laundry is quite an ordeal. The clothes have to be separated into whites, colors, towels, handwash and no dry. Spray and wash needs to go on all the kids clothes where they have spilled food stains, grass stains, poop stains, etc. My scrubs need to be washed twice a week (because I only have 2 pair to wear all week.) Since I have been doing laundry for years, I know in my mind which article of clothing goes in which pile. Josh on the other hand does not yet. So after his first try at the laundry, I was helping him fold. He held up a pair of his pants that should have gone in the "no dry" pile but actually got put in the dryer. Poor guy now has a pair of pants that are very snug and about 4 inches too short. They are now in the DI pile.
2) Couponing is an art. I don't expect Josh to take over the coupon shopping at all, but once in a while I set out everything for him and he goes for me if I don't have a chance. Last week I sent him with a coupon for a prescription and 2 five dollar bills (which was more than enough to pay for the $4 prescription that he was picking up for me.) He came home with the receipt for a $15.99 prescription. I asked him if the insurance was billed and why it cost so much. He looked at me like, "Um, I picked up the prescription like you asked and I didn't know I was supposed to ask them any questions." I figured he would know that it only cost $4 but then how would he know that? I have never told him how much things like that should cost.
3) I have daily appointments at Golds Gym for my girls. I have an hour and a half to work out while they stay in the day care. Appointments have to be made a week in advance or they fill up and we aren't able to go. I always make my appointment for the next week the day that I am in there. So with the role-reversal Josh has assumed the duty of going to the gym with the girls at my 9:00 appointed time each day. I guess I forgot to remind him about the pre-appointing because he got through the week and realized that he was not on the schedule for next week at all. Hopefully someone cancels so we can get back on schedule!
4) Diaper sizes are tricky. Rease is potty-trained but still wears a diaper at night and at naps just in case. Rhen just graduated from size 2 diapers to size 3. But there are different sizes within the size. Walgreens diapers are slightly smaller than Huggies and Pampers. So she is in a Walgreens size 3 but not quite to a Huggies/Pampers size 3 (they're still big enough that she pees out the sides.) Once she grows out of Walgreens size 3 then I move her up to Huggies/Pampers size 3, then to Walgreens size 4, etc. So I came home from work one day and got a diaper out of Rhen's drawer. I realized right away that it was a Huggies diaper (just by the look of it) and that it was going to be too big for her. I then tried to explain the sizes to Josh and he said, "yeah that's a size 3." Yes but not a Walgreens size 3.
Just a few minor details that I know but forgot to pass on to my sweet husband who is trying so hard to do things just right!
Josh is amazing because even though there are a million things going on in the day and lots of details to remember, he loves loves loves our girls and shows them how much he loves them all day long. He is such a great dad. And on top of everything he has time to get me flowers...

I got these one day when I was at work - special delivery from Josh and my girls. (Rease wanted to pick her own flower to add to the arrangement so that's where the dandelion comes from.)

So after a long week of being at home, we took a much needed date night. I asked him how his week was at home and he said "I'm exhausted!"

What a man I have! Thanks Josh for all you do!

2 comments:

Dixie said...

You are a great man Josh! I remember wondering when you got married if Natalie really knew what a wonderful guy she was getting. I always thought there would be no one good enough for you, but you found the perfect girl. Love you both!

Brittney said...

What a great post. I normally don't read really long posts but this one was worth it. So many details to being a mom! What an opportunity you'll have to really appreciate each other that much more. Good luck! If you moved here to TX and you forgot to schedule your gym appointment, I would watch the girls for you!