There is one thing I need to remind everyone about before I start the story about our trip to Hawaii: I am pregnant - Don't judge me for things that I did that, under normal circumstances, I probably wouldn't have done. I have a good excuse.
Okay, here we go.
We left for Kauai on August 30 and because of the kindness of a friend, we were able to get there on buddy passes, therefore costing us very little. The flight over was great and we got there with a few hours of daylight to spare. We were staying on the north shore of Kauai in a town called Hanalei. We had decided earlier not to rent a car and instead took the bus for the hour long trip north. Other than getting a little carsick and making a lot of stops on the very roundabout way to get there, the bus was great and we only had a short walk to the Hanalei Inn that we stayed at. This is the view on our 10 minute walk to and from town - beautiful! We got so we didn't mind the walk since everything was so green and there was lots to look at.
Okay, here we go.
We left for Kauai on August 30 and because of the kindness of a friend, we were able to get there on buddy passes, therefore costing us very little. The flight over was great and we got there with a few hours of daylight to spare. We were staying on the north shore of Kauai in a town called Hanalei. We had decided earlier not to rent a car and instead took the bus for the hour long trip north. Other than getting a little carsick and making a lot of stops on the very roundabout way to get there, the bus was great and we only had a short walk to the Hanalei Inn that we stayed at. This is the view on our 10 minute walk to and from town - beautiful! We got so we didn't mind the walk since everything was so green and there was lots to look at.
Hanalei is right on a bay that Josh took his morning runs on. We walked there a couple of times just to relax and take in the scenery.
Just a sidenote: Later on in the trip I asked one of the locals about how often they see sharks around the islands. He told us that a few weeks ago there was a hammerhead in this bay and they closed the bay for a few days. Scary!!
You can see the people behind us snorkeling. Amazing.
Us girls.
Misha in her scuba gear.
This is one of our favorite treats we got while in Hawaii. It's shave ice but not only that - it has ice cream on the bottom and sweetened condensed milk on top. Talk about sugar overload! We loved it and had our fair share! Our favorite kind was mango/passionfruit - delicious.
We also liked this place - Shaka Tacos. Good food and live music.
Onto the second part of our trip.
The main reason we came to Kauai was for a 4 day kayaking trip along the Na Pali coastline. The trip was planned before I got pregnant but still I figured I would be able to do it. We all had tandem kayaks and I knew Josh would be able to help out when I couldn't. I wasn't worried at all.
This is one of the new fruits we tried in Hawaii called Starfruit. It was actually really good and we bought a bunch of them from the farmers market.
First of all - notice that we have no pictures of us actually on the water or any of the 4 days we were gone. That's because we crashed and burned the first time tried to beach our kayak and the camera (yes our nice, expensive camera) including our video camera got wet and no longer work. So for the rest of the trip along the gorgeous Na Pali coast, we have no proof that we were actually there. That's pregnant bad attitude situation #1 (yes, there are more.)
Second - I didn't even think of this for some reason, even though I get very motion sick in the car, at amusement parks, etc - I should have thought about seasickness. But I didn't until we were actually too far from the shore to go back, and by then it was too late. I had about 5 "episodes," as we called them, along the 8 mile trip. The first episode came on very suddenly and before I knew it, my breakfast was gone along with anything else that happened to be in my stomach. I thought to myself afterward - Okay everything's out of me, I can't throw up anymore. But I found out that it is possible to throw up even if there is nothing in your stomach. Poor Josh was in the back and had to watch every time I leaned over the side and hunched over time after time. Like I said - 5 episodes. Pregnant bad attitude situation #2.
Third - Kayaks are not the easiest things to keep steady. Especially with us being very new to the sport and also with all the throwing up, I'm afraid I was rocking the boat. We tipped over in the middle of the ocean about 4 times. Let me just say that out of the nine kayaks in our group, only one other kayak tipped over and they only did it one time. So we were the idiots of the group and for some reason could not keep ourselves steady. Plus to try and get back in without tipping ourselves over again - now that was a trick. Pregnant bad attitude situation #3.
Fourth - I don't know why I don't remember my first pregnancy very well, but I was reminded quickly on this trip what kind of person I become when pregnant. I don't think I helped much with the rowing and since Josh was in the backseat, he had control of the rudder. You would think I had control with all the bossing I was doing - "Go more to the right" "Let's go left" "We're too far from our group" - that kind of thing. I could tell Josh was more than frustrated but my pregnant self continued to take control and I couldn't help being more and more bossy. Another thing, I forget how tired I get and being on a kayak for 4 hours didn't cure that. With only about a mile to go to our camping spot, I started to cry and told Josh that I did not want to do this anymore. I told him that as soon as we got to shore, we were somehow getting back to where we started and ending this horrible part of our trip. Josh, being the ever patient and loving husband, said that he would do as much as possible to get us back. Pregnant bad attitude situation #4.
We landed on the beach (luckily with no tipping over this time) and I immediately started to pack up for the way back. Let me say this - the only way to get to this part of the island is by kayak, boat or hiking. There are no roads and not many people are around. But in my stubborn little head I knew we would be able to find a boat to take us back. Everyone else was busily setting up camp but I wouldn't have it. I was not sleeping here that was for sure. Well, it ended up that even with all my great excuses for having a bad attitude and wanting to go home, there was no boat that was going back and we ended up having to stay the night - and then another night. Meanwhile there was lots to see on this part of the island and lots of cool hikes. Everyone really enjoyed it while I continued with my bad attitude and stayed in camp most of the time reading. Josh will have to fill you in on all the fun things they did, but he did tell me that they went to a beautiful beach called Hanapoo and on a great hike and found tons of fresh fruit. He had a blast! There was a great waterfall that was close to camp that we were able to get drinking water and also take a semi-shower. It really did feel great to get cleaned up.
This is one of the few pictures we have from the beach we camped at. Isn't it beautiful?
I have to think that under normal circumstances, I would have loved the trip. I love camping and the outdoors normally. I am keeping up hope that one day we will go back (when I am not pregnant) and we will have a great time!
So since we came back a day earlier than we had planned, we had to quickly come up with a place to stay our last night on the island. I called our good friend Gayle who magically came up with a great room and the Marriott and we had a fabulous day at the hotel! We bought a disposable camera so we could remember how beautiful the hotel was.
Josh with a cool bird.

I know this is a dorky picture - but this shows how happy I was to be here. I could have stayed at the hotel for days!! There was lots of shopping...
And the pool was awesome! They said it is the biggest pool on the island. It was a nice change from the salt water we were used to.
Our group out to dinner the nightbefore we left. Rease was in good hands while we were gone and we were so glad to see her once we got home!
14 comments:
Josh, you are looking very buff these days. I guess those horse pills you are taking are helping?
Seriously Josh, you are looking ridiculously muscular. I'll have to tell Trev to come and oggle (word?) your biceps in the last shot.
I am so sorry the trip didn't go as planned! And your camera...
At least it all happened in Hawaii!
Ahh...I'm glad that I can live vicariously through your experiences here from my bed! :) Sounds like fun, but honestly, I think I'd prefer the beginning and ending of your trip (in hotels) than the middle...ESPECIALLY being prego! :) I think that the kayaking sounds fun, but camping and pregnancy doesn't seem like a fun combo at all.. but I have to hand it to you for doing it!!!!
Miss ya!
We wish we could have seen you while you were over this way. We miss you guys so much. I want to take a trip to Kauai. The pictures look beautiful. I am sorry about the bad parts. I can't wait until I am not pregnant and can do some of that fun stuff too. Come out this way after the baby and we will adventure these islands!
I completely understand how you must have felt, pregnancy is awful and it made me crazy too. Small world, me and Nate went to Kauai and snorkled which looks like with those same turtles and stayed at that same Motel with the pool! Crazy! How was it leaving Rease? Me and Nate have a hard time leaving Morghan. Tell Sam I love his speedo!!!! You look great! Was this pregnancy planned by the way? Me and Nate are having troubles in that area, going on 7 months of trying! Yikes! Still hoping though
I am so impressed that you even still tried to go kayaking while being pregnant. I have to say, you are one tough cookie! I'm pretty sure I would have put a kabosh on that part of the trip and just sat on the beach. So don't feel bad about not finishing, at least you started. Your pics are beautiful. I've only been to Ohau and there were way too many people!
I friends!! So glad that you had a good trip, at least most of the time. We went to Kauai right before Christmas almost 6 years ago - loved it and would love to go back. It's amazing! I added you to my blog so you can now get in. Happy reading!
Natalie I am sooo sorry you didn't have the best of times on your trip! The pics you took were beautiful though and your pregnancy is going strong so YEAH! We need to get together soon! Lets play or do dinner or something! Tell Rease hi from Oscar, we miss that little girl so much.
Hey, me again. I was just thinking after I read your blog last night about how I went deep sea fishing in Alaska when I was just a couple of months along with Addison. I got so sick but there was this sweet lady on the boat that gave me some ginger candy and it worked like a charm. It was amazing. So if your ever in the situation again of being motion sick try that, it worked great! The captain was eating ginger snaps the whole time too, so ginger is good and safe for the little one.
Oh my goodness! I am laughing so hard right now...Just imaginaning you telling me your story! You always have the greatest stories & adventures Nat! I miss you so much! But, I'm sorry you are so sick! You are so brave for even going on the kayaks girl! Anyway, I enyoyed the pics! Hawaii is so beautiful! Looks like paradise! Miss you friend! Love, Mindy
Natalie! You look great! I love that you named your baby Reese. How cute. I am glad you guys got to go to Kaui. I am jealous. Yay! We get to keep in touch.
Finally some pic's, and are they great! I love seeing somewhere I probably will never go. Scott can't stand the thought of flying over ocean with no land. Never mind that if you crash it doesn't matter where you land, you are still dead. Anyway, that's for another day. Maybe if you go on and on about your trip we could take a trip together someday and you could show us all the good places to go. We love you and can't wait to see you in September!
Nat, I am so glad you wrote about the great, the good and the pregnancy bad...I am having a few of those moments too lately...Luke is great to put up with me...why he does, who knows? It looks like you guys had fun and I couldn't help reading a couple of excerpts to Luke about your trip so he'd think my spazz attacks are normal...he's starting to roll his eyes when I even mention I'm not feeling well...I have had many a nervous breakdowns over what to eat for dinner lately...thanks for cleaning Luke's teeth the other day, your fabulous! Kauai is where my brother got married, they bought land there but haven't built anything yet, I can't wait till they do sometime down the road, it is absolutely breathtaking and I can't wait to have somewhere to stay...Gayle is amazing is she not...your pictures are awesome, take care! ;)
you are kidding. this post made me laugh so hard. its just so funny even thinking about it. how are you guys? whats new? hows the prego? your pics really are so cute tho. glad you have some. mmmm the snow cones. i seriously dream of them.
Post a Comment