Monday, May 23, 2016

Our hospital stay

Everyone knows that I love the days we have in the hospital after the baby is born.  I love the one on one time I get with my sweet newborn and just being able to relax and take it all in with not many other distractions (kids) around.  After Desh was born, the crowd we had in the delivery room started to disperse and I found myself alone and suddenly realized how sleepy I was.  Josh headed home for the afternoon to take care of the other kids and get them all settled for the next couple of days.  Mom and Hayley took the girls home and got them all ready to spend the next couple days with Grammie and Papa.  And the nursery nurse took Baby Desh up to the 4th floor nursery to get him checked out.  The 4th floor is like the specialty floor and they wanted to take him and check out his breathing.  Since he was 4 weeks early and considered a premie they were extra careful with everything they did.  They were concerned that he wasn't breathing properly and wanted to make sure his lungs were ok.  He had a sort of moaning noise that he would make that I actually thought was really cute and sweet but they said it could be a sign that he couldn't breathe very well.  He was also "flaring" with his nostrils which they said was also a sign of breathing problems.  Anyway, they were being extra careful with him and wanted to get some tests done on him.  So away he went too.  I got moved from the delivery room to my recovery room and decided that since I was alone I could get some sleep.  I fell asleep for a good 2 hours and woke up when they brought Desh back in along with a cupcake and balloons from the nurse wishing me a happy birthday.  It was so nice and I also realized how special it will be for me to always share my birthday with my youngest little man!  
Josh had taken this picture of Desh up in the nursery.  They put an IV in and had him hooked up to a bunch of monitors.  But he was a champ and passed all his tests so he was able to come back down and hang with us the rest of the time.  It's funny cause they had to follow their protocol for  premies on him the whole time we were in the hospital but he passed every one of them with no problem.  We had to weigh all his diapers while we were there, he had his blood sugar tested every 2 hours the first 24 hours and they monitored his breathing and vitals very closely.  But even at 36 weeks and 2 days, he was perfectly healthy and happy and big!  
 After the nursery stay we were glad he could be with us in our room the rest of the time.  He had a few moments of being awake and showing us his big eyes, but mostly he was just sleepy and snuggled with us.  Josh and I had a lot of time to take in the quiet peacefulness and talk about our new little one and how blessed we were.  I had quite a few moments where I felt so much love from my Heavenly Father.  The timing of everything the past 24 hours seemed too perfect to have been just by chance.  The fact that Baby Desh came a month early and was so healthy and strong with no problems is a blessing.  And the issue of the cord being wrapped so tight around his neck has made me think a lot about how things could have gone if he would have been gone full term.  Who knows, but I do know that we are so grateful for this little guy and that he is here safe and sound.  And we are constantly counting our blessings that things worked out the way they did.
We had a few visitors while we were there which always makes things so fun and happy!  Papa and Grammie of course were there and loved on Baby Desh.

And then our crazy crew made it and it was pandemonium for an hour or so.  But the kids were in love with Baby Desh from the minute they got there and did not want to stop holding and kissing him.  Even little Beck (who was my baby just 2 days ago) was happy to see Desh and just wanted to be near him.  Oh how I love all these crazies!
The first bath is always nice.  Desh loved it and loved being all cleaned up after a long day.  

And this is the proud father.  I couldn't ask for a more handsome, loving, caring dad to our kids and husband to me.  He is the best and we are all lucky that he is ours.  Baby Desh looks so small compared to Josh!  
We packed up Monday morning and got all ready to head home to the real world.  Desh got to wear a cute little outfit and I'm so excited to have a baby that will actually fit into newborn clothes for more than a week!  He is just our little guy!
I love these car seat pictures cause the baby always looks miniature!  Cute Desh is all ready to go home and be ours forever!
The nurse walked us out and snapped a picture of us before we loaded into the van.  Boy am I glad we bought this van!  It is going to be the best for all 6 of our little ones!  
Welcome to our family Baby Desh!  We are so glad you made it!

No comments: