I decided it was time for another marathon and this year we decided to try the Ogden Marathon. I've heard it's a great course with lots of downhill so I was excited to try it. It was a great spring to train too because we had such nice weather. Saturday morning runs were awesome. My goal this time was to get under 4 hours. I've gotten pretty close another time but never under 4. My training was right on track and I felt really great going in to the marathon. Dad and Uncle Paul trained to run too so the three of us headed up to check in the day before the race.
I love the expo before the marathon. I always get pumped up for the race and love seeing all the people around that are doing the same thing we are!
We stayed at Paul's house that night and had a delicious pasta dinner. We got to bed early because we had to be on the bus at 4:30 am. With all the nice days we had during training, it was our bad luck that the day of the race called for rain. I still had hope though that it would just sprinkle on us and would mostly be a nice day. This is just before we loaded onto the buses.
And up above Hunstville where the starting line was. It was beautiful. It was pretty chilly but during the 2 hours we had to wait, we were dry and warm huddled around the campfires. Just before the race started we got a little snow flurry but it stopped just as quick as it started.
As we were sitting there waiting for the race to start I listened to the announcer and wrote down a few facts about this marathon. The race actually had a 5k, a half, a relay and a full marathon so it was a big day for the volunteers and those who put this race together. People from 12 different countries were running in the marathon and there were over 1000 volunteers. And one cool story was told of a handicapped boy racing in his 100th race that day. At age 10 he started being pushed in a stroller/wheelchair during races and loved it so much they kept it up. This race happened to be his 100th race. Pretty cool.
These are the notes I wrote down in a journal just before the race. "There was snow then sunshine as we waited at the starting line this morning. We are all crowded around fires to keep warm. I feel nervous, excited and calm all at the same time. I feel prepared though and know I will do my best. My thoughts are on Josh and the kids and the support they've been during my training. I'm grateful for my body and the good shape I've been able to be in and they legs are doing well. I'm looking forward to the beautiful run and the good memories we'll make."
I was ready to run. Dad and Paul were a little slower than I was so they told me to go on ahead. This is taken with the starting line just ahead. As you can see, the weather was rolling in. It held out just long enough for us not to get soaked while we waited at the starting line. Just before mile 1 the rain started and continued throughout the whole race. Luckily Paul had given us each a little poncho to put on. I threw it on at the last second just in case. I'm glad I had it. By the halfway point I was so cold and soaked that I couldn't feel my legs or my hands. Anything that was wet was cold. I was grateful to have that small poncho just to keep at least my core from getting wet and cold. My feet were soaked of course and I could feel blisters coming on. Overall it was a miserable day for a run.
At mile 23 just as we came out of the canyon I hit my wall. Dang it. I thought I could get away from having that this race but no luck. I was pretty well on track to hit my 4 hour goal until then. But at that point I figured it was more important to slow my pace a little bit and keep running instead of stopping to walk. So that's what I did. Those last 3 miles were a struggle but I made it without stopping and crossed the finish line at 4:02:03. We had a great support group there to cheer us on even though they had to stand in the rain too! Josh and the kids, Hayley, Caleb and their kids, Melissa and Izzy and Garrett were all there at the finish line. No matter what it's always awesome to see people you know and love there cheering for you!
I love this "tent" they made for the triplets to keep dry.
I sat down for a leg massage and didn't want to get up!
I got changed into dry clothes then we headed back toward the finish line to watch for Paul and Dad. They came in around 4:45. Dad looked like he had a little bit of the runner's lean and looked like he was just holding on. We cheered as loud as we could for them and dad saw us and waved. Then he tried to surge forward to the finish line and his momentum took him forward faster than his legs could keep up. Before we knew what happened, he was down and had fallen into one of the barriers. I jumped over the fence and tried to help him up. He had blood coming from a gash near his eye, from his hand and running down his leg. It was just a few feet from the finish line so we walked across with him and then turned him over to the medics.
The nice thing about hanging out in the medical tent is that it was warm and dry. Dad ended up needing a couple stitches by his eye so we all hung out there with him until he was done.
After resting and being there for a while, we all got a little energy back and felt much better and warmer.
This is what I can say about the Ogden Marathon. I'm glad this day is over and we all finished. It was a terrible day to run and the rain was a real pain to run through. But the course was beautiful and I would like to try it again on a sunny day! And even though I didn't reach my goal (just 2 minutes over!) I am happy with the race I ran. Next time - 3:59.








No comments:
Post a Comment