Well baby day finally arrived July 7, 2014. The whole pregnancy, I never expected to make it this far - 39 weeks. But I made it and survived! I was scheduled to go in to Jordan Valley Hospital at 7:00 am that Monday morning. We dropped our kids off at the Hammers house (love those guys so much!) Sunday night for them to sleep over and spend the next day with them. Monday morning I woke up bright and early to get ready to go. I was in the shower by 5:00 am and couldn't wait to get the show on the road! At 5:10 the hospital called and said that they couldn't get me in right away and asked me to call back at 10:00 and see if they had room to take me. Talk about disappointment! So I finished getting ready and Josh and I went to breakfast at Village Inn to kill time. I was a little worried that I would get pushed off all day and not actually end up going in at all. We stopped at my mom's house while we waited and I took a nap to kill more time. I finally called at 9:30 and they said they could get me in at 10:00 if I could be there by then. Wohoo! Off we went to have baby #5!
I was in good spirits knowing that Baby Beck was going to be born soon! One last look at my belly before I changed into the sweet hospital gowns that would be mine for the next few days.
Yep there I am in all my glory!
We had a great nurse that got me all hooked up and ready to go. I asked for my epidural right away, knowing that as soon as I was in labor or my water broke it would all go very quickly. Even so, it took a couple of hours for everything to get done. Finally around 1:00 I had my epidural, my IV, pitocin working and the waiting and counting contractions game started. My mom and sister came and hung out with us at the hospital too which was great. We chatted here and there but mostly I was just uncomfortable waiting for it all to happen. I get this thing with my epidurals once in a while where I feel like I can't breathe. They say it's semi-normal for your chest to feel numb too and feel like you can't take a deep breath even though you really can. It happened when I had Keen and it happened again with Beck. It is awful to feel like no air is coming in with the breaths. It's like you're passing out even though you're breathing. So I worked through that. Then I didn't get full relief from my epidural so every contraction I felt a ton of pressure and could feel the baby moving farther and farther down. I told the nurse that I was hurting and she said that the anesthesiologist has just gone into a c-section surgery and wouldn't be out for an hour. No luck getting anything stronger. Boo. So around 3:00 I told the nurse that I felt like the baby was really close because the pain and pressure I was feeling was really really strong. She checked me and sure enough I was at a 9 - almost ready to push. She called Dr. Twelves to head on over and the delivery and nursery nurses came in to get everything all prepped. Between then and the time that Dr. Twelves came in I was just trying to breathe and make it through the contractions. I've delivered a baby without an epidural before so I know how much pain there really can be during labor - this wasn't at all like that. It was bearable pain, but still enough to make my eyes fill with tears every time. Dr. Twelves came in about 3:25 and, bless the nurses, everything was ready to go. She got her gloves and lab coat on and I started to push. I pushed for 2 contractions and Baby Beck was born! I remember thinking earlier that morning that maybe this baby wouldn't be as big as my other ones. Maybe that's why he didn't come on his own - that he was just smaller and needed a little help getting here. But as soon as I started pushing (and could feel a lot of what was happening) I changed my mind about that and knew that he was a big baby. Sure enough. 9 lbs 1 oz and 20 1/2 inches long! He has long legs and arms and broad shoulders. Dr. Twelves had to help with delivering the shoulders because they got stuck on the way out. She said to me that she is glad I got induced a week early or we would have had a 10 lb. baby. Thanks goodness! Overall things went great and most of all we are so grateful to have our sweet Beck here safe and sound!
As soon as Beck was born and they handed him to me, Josh and I both said how much he looks like Keen. Their baby pictures are so similar and they are both such big boys with big hands and feet and chubby cheeks. We'll see what look he ends up having, but he definitely fits in with his brothers and sisters!
Beck Isaac Beutler
Born 7.7.14
3:32 pm
9 lbs. 1 oz.
20 1/2 inches
Love this boy so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment