Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Logan and the hospital

Last weekend we went to Logan to Whit and Ty's house to celebrate Mama Beutler's birthday. Betsy, Travis and their kids, and Andy and Robin came and we had lots of good food and fun with the fam. It was a great, normal day with everyone up until about the last 10 minutes of the day...

Onto the drama that seems to follow us these days...

Josh and I were all packed up to leave when Josh and Rease started playing on the beanbag. He was picking her up and swinging her back onto the beanbag. Somehow Rease got hurt and started crying (which is pretty normal for her but she always stops right away after I kiss it better.) Well, she kept crying and I noticed that she wasn't moving her right arm at all. I told her to point to where it hurts and she showed me that her elbow was hurting. We tried to let her just relax for a few minutes but after we realized that she wasn't going to stop crying we decided to take her to the hospital. Josh was feeling pretty bad at this point and was in a hurry to get her checked out. When we got there and explained to the nurse what had happened, she knew right away what it was. She told us that it is called "nursemaids elbow" where the radius comes out of the socket. She said that it is pretty painful and makes it impossible to bend at the elbow but is easy to fix by popping it back in. Just as she was explaining to to us, she was also trying to put this little pulse taking device on Rease's toe and Rease freaked out and tried to get off the table. She put her weight onto the hurt arm and as soon as the nurse left the room Rease looked at me and said "better." She stopped crying and let Josh hold her until the doctor came in. He had Rease bend her elbow and move her fingers and told us that she had popped it back into place herself and that she should be fine. After thinking that her arm was broken for sure, we were glad to have it end this good. It ended up being a much better thing that we were thinking and Rease has been talking about the doctor ever since then. This is the "bracelet" they gave her and she was pretty happy that they didn't have to do much to make her better.

Good old Rease - keeping us hoppin!

3 comments:

brookiebaby said...

Yeah, kids do tend to keep us hoppin! :) I'm so glad that things ended up okay! Good to talk to you today! Keep in touch!

Jason and Rachel said...

That totally happened to Natalie. She was throwing a fit and so was fighting against me when I tried to pick her up by her arms and I heard a pop and sure enough, her arm was out of joint. I felt so bad so I know how Josh feels! Glad everything is better and they didn't have to pop it back in for her. Natalie talked about it for WEEKS how the doctor just did this (then she would show us) and then it felt better!

Brittney said...

No way-that's unbelievable! Way to go Rease. Maybe she'll grow up to be a doctor or nurse. She'll have one cool story to tell patients!