Friday, March 6, 2009

Still Pregnant

Well, I am officially 3 days away from my induuction date and even though I was hoping for an early labor, no luck so far. I went to see Dr. Smith on Tuesday and we talked about my induction date of Monday, March 9th. He told me that Monday is starting to look like a busy day and that there is a chance that we would have to wait until Tuesday to induce me (sigh.) He said that in the case that there are too many people on the schedule or others that are in labor then they remove people from the list according to due date. Well, since I am getting started before my due date I am most likely to be bumped first and have to wait until the next day. Oh man! That's like telling me that I have to run 5 more miles after I just crossed the marathon finish line. Not fair! Plus we have this wedding time crunch which is the whole reason that he is starting me early! So yesterday I decided to take matters into my own hands and see if I could start my own labor. I went to the grocery store and bought a bottle of castor oil. I've heard that it works and my mom and my mother in law both said that they tried it on a few of their kids and were successful. So my mom helped me whip up a castor oil cocktail with apple juice and I was ready. Let me just tell you first of all how gross this stuff looks. When we mixed it with the juice the oil just settled on the top and balled up. It looked like Karo syrup that wouldn't mix in (I wish it tasted like Karo syrup too but no such luck.) I knew the side effects of drinking this stuff were hours spent in the bathroom and possible vomiting, but along with that it is also supposed to trigger contractions. I was ready to take on the side effects as long as it would help get Rhen here quicker. So anyway, it took me a few minutes of talking myself into it to finally gulp this stuff down (and almost throwing up half way through because it was so disgusting) but I did it and settled in for a night of contractions. Well a couple of hours went by and I did spend my fair share of time in the bathroom, but after everything was said and done I didn't have many results. No contractions, no pains, nothing to do with getting me into labor! By the end of the night, I ended up being disappointed that it didn't work for me. I went to bed with the hopes that during the night the contractions would start and we'd be off to the hospital. I woke up this morning with a baby still inside and a stomach ache from the nasty cocktail I drank the night before. What a disappointment! I have started to accept the fact that I will most likely have to wait until Monday (or more likely Tuesday) to have the Dr. induce me (sigh again.) It's not all bad, I really have had a good pregnancy and I love feeling the baby move inside my tummy (which I will miss greatly when she is born.) Rease is a great helper around the house and I love spending one on one time with her and I know we only have a few days of that left. I will try and be more patient these last few days of my pregnangy...no more castor oil for me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! You are so funny! When I worked Labor & Delivery we would always send disappointed mothers home and jokiingly tell them to "drink castor oil" not imagining that anyone would. You are a brave soul. I'm sorry it didn't work. Just take Josh into your room and get busy! Sperm has natural prostaglandin that is suppose to help you dilate thus triggering contractions. It's worth a try and definitely more pleasant than the last attempt :) And maybe you already have, just keep at it! (I'm sure Josh won't complain)

Andrea and Justin said...

I think about you all the time and I can't wait to see the pictures of your beautiful new baby girl. Enjoy the last few nights of sleep because your not going to have them for awhile. Good luck

Sid said...

Oh the memories of the last days of waiting. You will be pushing that baby out in no time. You are such a good Mom. Enjoy your baby Rease these few last days because her baby days are about to end! We'll be waiting for the news!

Dan said...

To be honest I don't really think about you all the time but after Rach's comment and suggestion, I'm not sure I will be able to sleep tonight because of you (and Josh).

Dan and Michelle said...

You should go get a massage. I had a massage in the morning and my water broke that night.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I know that was probably TOO much info for the comment section Lol! But it is true! I hope I didn't tramatize anyone :) Good luck, I can't wait to see your pics of the new little one!

brookiebaby said...

Ha Ha! I have to agree with Rach. I dont' know if that was what helped push me into labor (cuz lets be honest, I was in 7 months of it), but I did what Rach "suggested" (so I won't traumatize anyone...) the night before I started into slow labor. A day and a half later, Coop was here. Also, my friend Shelly was told Blue Cohosh (I'm not sure if that's how you spell it) it's an herb that you drink, that's not that great, but I'm told aLOT better than castrol oil! Can't wait to see pics of Rhen!!! Love ya!