Sunday, July 4, 2021

Bike wreck

Josh got in a pretty gnarly bike wreck this weekend.  I was not even home when it happened so I wasn't there or able to even help him off the trail.  He went for an early morning ride with his buddy Trevor and took a wrong landing on a small jump near the beginning of the trail.  I think he may have blacked out a little bit cause he says he doesn't really remember much except that he was on the ground.  His bike was banged up but not as much as his arm and whole right side of his body.  Trevor got him down off the mountain and took him straight to the emergency room where he had 34 stitches put in.  I got home just in time to meet him at the door when he got out of the hospital.  He was in quite a bit of pain poor guy.  A few days later he was still really struggling with the pain and fever and I started to notice that his arm was still really red and the seemed to be spreading.  I traced the edge of the red with a marker and the next morning it had spread even more.  So again we went off to the emergency room to have them take a look.  They were concerned about the swelling, the redness and how warm it all still was and said there was a pretty good infection going on in there.  The doctor recommended a shot of rocephin (super strong antibiotic) and switched him to a different oral antibiotic.  He said with both those things, it should start to feel and look a lot better.  Sure enough, by the next day Josh was feeling a lot better and within a week or so the swelling was almost gone though he still has a pretty nasty scrape.  It's going to turn into a cool scar once this is all over.  


 

No comments: