Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas Trip - Day 11 Rio Grande (Charco Frio)

Josh and I have gotten into a daily habit of taking a morning walk. We explore the neighborhood, admire the gorgeous flowers everywhere and just talk about life. It’s become one of my favorite things we do. I love this man by my side and am grateful every day that he’s in my life! Partners in crime. 

Today we planned to explore a place we heard about called Charco Frio. It’s a swimming hole of sorts that is off the beaten path and full of adventure. We thought we’d give it a try!  The road to the river ends at a gated home that is owned by a man named Mr. Basilo. He’s a nice man who allows people to park on his property and make the trek up the path to Las Tinajas which has a great swimming area with a rope swing, lots of jumping areas and even some natural water slides in the rocks. It is a hidden gem and we felt so lucky that we found it and got to know Mr. Basilo. We walked for about 15 minutes and it ended up being pretty muddy the whole way. Beck even got stuck so far in the mud that it sucked his whole shoe off! It was hilarious how we started out on the path trying really hard to avoid the mud, then got to the end and we were all covered. But a beautiful spot awaited and it was worth the effort to get there!

The rope swing was a big hit with all the kids and they went over and over and over. Brave kids. The water was cool but felt amazing in the hot sun!

After we played at the rope swing and swimming spot for a while we continued up the path to find the rock slides. And when I say path I actually mean the “rock and tree and boulder and mud trail” because it was definitely an adventure for all 8 of us to get up there. The kids were amazing and blazed on with no fear. The boys especially thought it was amazing that we got to climb and jump and slip all over. My mama heart almost gave out a couple times but I kept reminding myself that this is good for them! The reward at the top were these amazing water slides in the rocks. We had such a fun time riding these and even Beck and Desh could not get enough! I was so proud of all my kids and the adventurous spirits they have. This is my idea of a good time!



Cliff jumping was on the docket of course as we wound down after a day of swimming and rock sliding. Everyone jumped from some height or another. And Josh took the grand prize jumping from the top of the 50 foot jump. It looked high from the bottom so I’m sure it was from up there! We had THE BEST day at Charco Frio and spent most of the day there. It was so fun and refreshing and an adventure that we will never forget!
We made our way to the grocery store for a stock up of Fanta Pina and pan de agua. We had tacos for dinner and swam in the pool the rest of the evening. I don’t know how the kids had enough energy to swim still but they never seem to tire of the pool. I, on the other hand, am tired tonight. So I’m sitting here doing this blog post and watching the BYU bowl game. Right now we’re killing UCF 42-10. Looks like the nights going to end on a good note :)



No comments: