Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Fixing the dryer

  This week our dryer stopped working.  I turned it on, heard a pop and then it stopped and wouldn't turn on.  I hate when things like that happen and a repairman has to come out and charge us an arm and a leg to fix it.  So I settled in and decided to check it out myself first and see if it was something I could do.  I watched a couple videos on youtube and decided that it was either the thermal fuse that had shorted out or the control board had gone bad.  So I opened up the dryer and started with the thermal fuse.  While I was in there I found about $7 worth of quarters in there.  
And then found the one quarter that caused the problem.  This one had gotten stuck between the fuse and the side of the dryer and shorted it out.  I was happy that I at least found the source of the problem.  
Then I opened up the top of the dryer and looked at the control board.  Sure enough - that too had a problem.  The circuit for the motor was all burned out which I'm sure was caused by the same quarter and thermal fuse.  I think one thing led to another and both parts gone shorted out and stopped working.  So I ordered both parts (the control board was a pretty penny - $220!) and replaced them.  It was kind of a pain being without a dryer for a couple days while we waited for the parts, but I figured if that didn't work then we'd have to get a new dryer.  I was hoping that these two parts solved the problem.  After getting them replaced and the dryer put back together I said a little prayer and turned it on...Voila!  It worked!  So happy to know we didn't have to pay for someone else to come out and fix what we could do on our own.  Plus I think they would have charged us much more than what we put into it.  A penny saved is a penny earned right?

No comments: