I have never hiked the Y! I don't know how I have escaped it all these years, but somehow I haven't made it up that mountain. Josh and I figured it was about time that we tried it and took all the kids along with us. Since we were at the cabin for the weekend it was a perfect opportunity for us. The kids were a little less than excited, mainly because they weren't sure what to expect. I'll have to admit that I didn't really know what we were getting ourselves into either!
Josh had Beck in the backpack and I had Desh in the baby carrier. The rest of the kids were on their own. So the hike is actually just a series of switchbacks that keeps going for what seems like miles and miles and is fairly steep. We made it to the first switchback and everyone needed a break including mom. Slowly but surely we made it up and up and up and the kids kept trucking along. There was a fair amount of whining and complaining but actually all the kids did pretty amazing.
When we were pretty close to the top we found a creepy friend on the trail. I actually almost stepped on it because it blends in so well. We stopped and took pictures and videos of this big tarantula making its way across the trail and into the trees.
After about an hour and a half of hiking, we finally did make it to the Y! We took our time once we got up there and relaxed for a while. It was a beautiful view down to the valley! And the hike down was much easier and faster. The kids basically ran down to the car.
I'm not sure how soon we'll go back and hike this trail. It may be one of those "Once you've done it, you don't need to do it again" hikes. I'd say we won't be back soon. But we're glad we did it and the I'm proud of the kids for making it all the way to the top!


No comments:
Post a Comment