I decided that for Christmas this year I was going to try and avoid getting a lot of toys for the kids and wanted to do something different. We have millions of toys floating around our house that the kids don't really play with that much anymore so I wanted to get away from that if possible. So I thought that it would be fun to redo the girls' room and see what I could do to spice it up a little bit. I knew I wanted to put a dresser in there for them and maybe do some painting and change bedding etc. I figured I could do it pretty cheap if I had enough time to find the right things. So I was on the lookout for a few months.
I finally ran across these beauties at the DI one day. I found a dresser and 2 matching nightstands. I know they don't look like much now but I knew they had potential. They were very sturdy and well made and I knew I could do a little work and get them to be just right. I also found a small church pew there that would be a perfect addition to the room. So I bought them all and ended up spending $95 total. Pretty good for 4 good pieces of furniture. I also got some picture frames from mom that she was getting rid of and thought those would be good to add to the mix.
So a few weeks before Christmas I got to work. I bought some fabric to recover the bench, bought some spray paint for the picture frames and bought a very costly gallon of white paint that matched the white in their room for the dresser and nightstands. The bench used to be this ugly pink velour fabric and I knew that had to go. Hayley, mom and I raided Hobby Lobby one day and found this cute paisley patterned fabric that had just the right colors. So I bought the last piece of it that they had and used it to recover the bench. I took off all the handles from the nightstands and dresser and sanded it all then primed it.
I bought a bunch of cute, colorful knobs to go on the dresser and nightstands and decided to try getting all different shapes, sizes and colors. I wasn't sure how it would look but went for it anyway. Once everything was painted, the fun part was putting on the knobs and seeing how it all looked. I think they turned out pretty cute!
2 days before Christmas I put the room all together and this is the final product. New bedding from Target that is white with gold polka dots. The pillows I got from Barnes and Noble when they were having their clearance sale. They were each $2! Can't beat that!
I got a poster sized print of the girls together and didn't frame it, just hung it as it was. It looks cute and different next to the pink frame.
Overall I think the room turned out really cute and I'm so excited to show the girls and see what they think. They have been banned from their room for the past week while I finished up so they know something is happening. They're pretty excited to see what is going on and I can't wait to see their reaction!

1 comment:
It turned out so cute- love it!
Post a Comment